Saturday, January 21, 2012

Our Best Bites' Sausage and Egg Overnight Casserole--gf,cf

I really love breakfast.  Anyone else with me on that?  There's just something about coming out of an overnight fast that makes me hungry...
My favorite breakfasts are savory dishes because they don't cause my blood sugar to spike like other yummy things can.  My daughter has now added eggs in once a week (YAY!), so we get to have baked dishes like this more often. 
This is another of those recipes that my family loves for special ocassions like birthdays and Christmas morning.  Mama loves them because the work is done the night before and not with a hungry toddler attached to my hip, hehe.

So here it is.  My version of Our Best Bites Sausage and Egg Overnight Casserole--gf,cf

Here's what you need:

one loaf gluten free bread (home made or store)
1 lb. gf turkey sausage, browned
1/4-1/2 c. green chiles (your preference)
1 dozen eggs
1 can coconut milk (I prefer thai kitchen whole fat)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp hot sauce
1 c daiya cheese, optional

Grease a 9x13" baking dish.  Cut the bread into 1" cubes.  If you are using any type of cheese, sprinkle it over the bread.  Add sausage on top, then the green chiles.
In a bowl, whisk eggs, seasonings, milk, and hot sauce together.  Pour over the bread/sausage mixture. 
Cover and refrigerate overnight. 
when ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until egg is set and is golden brown. 
Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment