Saturday, October 30, 2010

Country Style Stuffing


This stuffing really needs a snappy name. I just couldn't title it plain ol' "stuffing", ya know? Growing up, I hated stuffing. Then one year, my mother in law made stuffing FROM SCRATCH and it was so good! Seriously, people don't know what they're missing when they use the boxed versions--and don't get me started on all the additives in that lil' ol' box!

{Apple Pecan Cornbread STUFFING}

1 day old pan of golden skillet cornbread, cubed *
6 tbsp. cold pressed olive oil
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 apples, cored and chopped
1 clove garlic, diced
1 1/2 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. gf poultry seasoning (I like Simply Organic's)
2 c. GF chicken broth (SO easy to make and tastes SO much better! If you do use canned, be sure it's GF!!!)
1 c. water
1 tsp sea salt

Place bread cubes and pecans in a large bowl. Set aside. In a large pan, heat olive oil and add celery and onion. Cook until golden and tender, about 10 minutes. Add apples, poultry seasoning and parsley and cook a few minutes more. Pour in broth, water, and salt. On medium heat, let contents heat to a bare boil. Pour over bread cubes and stir until well mixed. Bake in a lightly greased 9x13" baking dish (covered with foil) at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

* I have also used my Golden Skillet Cornbread for half the bread and then 5 c. of day old gf/cf/ egg free biscuits. You could probably sub in any bread for this recipe, but I haven't tried anything but what I've listed. If anyone needs the biscuit recipe, I can post that, though my husband is still perfecting it--biscuits are his baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment