Saturday, October 30, 2010

Thanksgiving last year...

Last year's Thanksgiving feast was held at my husband's parents' home. I decided that instead of worrying about possible x-con issues, I would bring our entire meal, turkey included. Most "normal" turkeys are injected with broth and are therefore suspect--warning, they may contain gluten! Also, many baste their turkeys with flour and spices, or even a store bought rub, all of which would make the turkey inedible for some of us.
So I made the turkey. (But I cheated--I had my brother in law pit roast it for us.)
I was trying to mimic their menu so no one would feel deprived. (My daughter is noticing more and more how she is different, and sometimes that can be hard for a five year old to understand.) We celebrate our differences in a lot of ways, but try to be inclusive of as much as we feel comfortable with.
We had mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, garlicky green beans, cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing, and salad. Along with pumpkin and coconut cream pies. I had a plan and spaced it over 3 or 4 days, and it really ended up not being difficult at all--in fact I had a lot of fun!

A friend asked to see some of the recipes, so I'm trying to get all these in here. A few may need some work...we'll see.

I'll start out with cranberry sauce 'cuz it's easiest.;-)

{CRANBERRY SAUCE}

12 oz cranberries
1 c. water
1 c. turbinado sugar*

In a large saucepan, dissolve sugar in water on medium heat. Bring to a low boil. Add cranberries and turn down heat to low. Stir constantly so as not to burn. The sauce is ready when the cranberries have "popped" and is beginning to thicken, about 10 minutes. Pour into a heat safe bowl and let cool. Refrigerate to chill completely.

*I have tried honey instead of a sugar, and didn't feel like the flavors melded very well. I think agave would work better. The process took longer, as there is more liquid, and it didn't set up quite as much, but it is doable for those who don't want any sugar. Again, I think the less bold taste of agave would blend better...

No comments:

Post a Comment