Saturday, October 30, 2010

Homemade Almond Milk

All these years, and I never knew just how simple and easy it is to make almond milk! I've never really liked the ready-made versions simply because they seemed so processed, so with the exception of coconut milk, I've only used them on rare occasions. One day awhile back, a friend of mine mentioned that she makes hers. I thought that was cool, but didn't feel like adding another thing I have to do to my list. Fast forward to a few months ago...I finally decided to give it a try. I looked up a recipe online (thank you, Google) to get the general idea and haven't looked back. There are definately things I prefer coconut milk for, but almond milk is great more a lot of things too.
There are tons of very detailed explanations on the web, but I'm just going to give the general idea--most of my cooking is like this, which is why some of my recipes may seem vague--I'm still learning how measure, lol!

SO: Almond Milk

1 c. almonds soaked overnight
2-3 qts water
dash of sea salt (1/4 tsp.)
tad bit of honey (okay, tsbp.)

Blend almonds with 1 1/2 qts water on high for 1 minute. Strain through cheesecloth. Add almond grounds. Repeat. If your blender doesn't hold that much liquid, take it down to a qt. of water and go from there. My husband likes his milk on the thinner side. If you prefer a thicker milk, use less water. Easy peasy. Refrigerate. Drink up before 4 days have gone by...way easy there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment