Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gingered Carrots

Ginger is a warming spice.  Good for digestion, it is considered a tonic.  It is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine.  It is good in cakes, pies, stir fries and beverages alike.  I like to drink honeyed ginger water.  Coarsely chop some fresh ginger.  Pour boiling water over it in a heat safe dish and let sit.  Strain ginger and add honey.  MMM.  Ginger is also good paired with carrots. {wink} 
My husband's mother made this for her family for years.  I had never had anything like it before I married into their clan.  I should have just asked her for the recipe, but that would have required a phone call and it turned out well, so here's my version.


Gingered Carrots

  • carrots, washed and thinly sliced (crinkle cut is fun)
  • tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1tsp. ground ginger (or to taste)
  • 2 tsp. honey (or to taste)
In a skillet (one that has a lid), saute carrots in the olive oil for a minute or so, stirring occasionally.  Add water and cook another 5-7 minutes, or until tender crisp.  Add ginger and honey.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment